AFL Sydney v Port Adelaide: Ken Hinkley pressure relief, Power deny Swans after-the-siren win

The blow torch on Ken Hinkley had become intense during the week but a remarkable outcome on the road has restored confidence after Port Adelaide denied Sydney a famous after-the-siren win.

Port Adelaide has produced one of the most remarkable victories in Ken Hinkley’s time at the Power, after a week in which his future at the club was questioned by one of the club’s greatest players.

Sydney’s Ollie Florent had a shot to win the game after the siren, but his kick didn’t even make the distance as the Power held on by two-points in a thrilling win that showed a lot of guts.

The heartbreaking loss for the Swans was compounded by defender Paddy McCartin suffering yet another concussion.

In distressing scenes McCartin was subbed out of the game in the first quarter after he suffered the 10th concussion of his career.


That will have to go down as one of Hinkley’s sweetest victories as senior coach of the Power.

And he celebrated like it following a remarkable finish to the game.

He and the club has faced a barrage of criticism regarding his position and future as senior coach this week, from the only man to captain the Power to AFL premiership glory Warren Tredrea.

But his players responded in gutsy fashion, and came away with a win that eases the pressure significantly on Hinkley.

He coached the game on the bench in an unusual move and early on saw his side look panicked, and almost lucky to stay in the game with the Swans inaccurate going forward.

But in the second quarter the Power piled on four goals in a row to take the lead.

The Swans then looked like they were going to run away with the match in the fourth quarter.

But the Power weren’t done.


Florent and many of the Sydney players celebrated like they had won the game.

It certainly looked like his kick was going to go through the goals to break Port Adelaide hearts.

But then came Aliir Aliir and he produced an amazing piece of defending to stop the ball before it crossed the line.

It was fitting that Aliir was the man to deny the Swans from claiming a win, because he kept the Power in the game throughout the night at the SCG.

His five marks were crucial as he seemed to keep the Swans at bay by himself at times.


The decision of the umpires certainly raised eyebrows at the SCG.

Dan Houston was pinged for an intentional rush behind, to his dismay, which allowed Logan McDonald to kick an easy goal in the first quarter.

Houston argued that he was under enough pressure to rush for a behind, but his argument fell on deaf ears.

In the second quarter Jackson Mead thought he had kicked the Power’s first goal of the match but the goal umpire said it was touched on the line.

The review looked like there was enough space between the ball and the Swans’ defenders hand, but it wasn’t enough to overturn the umpires call.

The Swans also missed out on what should have been a free kick when Errol Gulden was caught high by Scott Lycett.

The umpire even conceded that he missed it.


Swans 2.2, 4.6, 7.10, 9.10 (64)

Power 0.3, 4.6, 5.8, 9.12 (66)


Swans: Warner, Florent, Rampe, Lloyd, Ladhams, Gulden, Blakey

Power: Aliir, Duursma, Butters, Finlayson, McKenzie, Rozee, Williams


Swans: Warner 2, McDonald 2, Papley, Ladhams, Heeney, Florent, Blakey

Power: Finlayson 3, Rozee, Powell-Pepper, McEntee, Marshall, Horne-Francis, Butters


Swans: McCartin (concussion), McCartin (concussion)

Power: Nil


Meredith, Williamson, Toner, Young





3 Aliir (Port)

2 Warner (Syd)

1 Florent (Syd)

Originally published as AFL Sydney v Port Adelaide: Pressure relief for Ken Hinkley as Power denies Swans famous win

#AFL #Sydney #Port #Adelaide #Ken #Hinkley #pressure #relief #Power #deny #Swans #afterthesiren #win

Leave a Comment